Friday, October 2, 2009

Sarah Roberti





What is your senior thesis?

My senior thesis is based on the novel “Lolita” by Vladimir Nabokov. My goal is to give the female character a voice and to address ethical issues that revolve around the story.

What motivated you to start this project? What inspires your creative process?


For this project I was motivated by a piece of literature. Although, I’m usually driven by my own experiences. I knew that I wanted to expand on my junior project because it was unfinished, and it just seemed like a good transition into the Lolita project.

Do you work in film or digital? Please describe any technique or process relevant to your project.


Both. I love the look achieved by film cameras, but digital has its advantages as well. I think the medium depends on what the project calls for. I’m currently trying to build a fashion portfolio and for that I work in digital, but my senior thesis will be done with film.

Is this a new project or a continuation of previous work?


It’s a new project, however last semester I was influenced by “Lolita”, even though my photographs were not directly about it. They were about ideas of female adolescence and how sexual curiosity can be perceived as innocent to some yet erotic to others.

How has your work developed or changed over time?


My work has always been very female oriented; in the past I’ve photographed my friends and myself in both a confessional and falsified kind of way. My first year of photo studio was when I really felt I had developed a method; I realized that I stage everything I do. I still work in this tableau style, and I’m still drawn to photographing mostly people.

What artists/works of art have inspired or influenced you?


At the moment: Lise Sarfati, Elinor Carucci, Maya Deren, Pipilotti Rist, Sally Mann, Laurel Nakadate, Tracey Baran, Bill Henson, Marilyn Minter, David Lachapelle, and I also watch a lot of French films that are great for inspiration.

What kind of response do you hope to get from your viewers? Is there a certain experience you want people to take away from your photographs?


Ideally, I want the viewer to want more. And I want the photographs to evoke something in the viewer; I respond best to photographs that are visceral, ambiguous, uncomfortable, etc, so emotional stimulation is important to me.

What is the ideal setting to view your work? Do you picture your photographs in a book? In a gallery?


I’m not sure...I like the idea of viewing work on the wall and it leaving a mental image in your mind afterwards, but I also like images contained in an object and the more intimate experience.

Do you have any ideas or plans for future work?


Not yet, senior thesis is my main focus for the time being.

What do you see yourself doing after graduation?


Keep shooting and building up a portfolio; I ultimately want to do editorial work so I’ll just be working towards that goal. I also want to assist or intern for a photographer in the field; I interned for a commercial photographer this past summer and it was a great experience, you definitely learn things you won’t in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment