Friday, October 16, 2009

Rachel Hall





What is your senior thesis?

My thesis speaks to the act of adultery, mainly focusing on the emotions and struggles the “other woman” faces. My work will revolve around the moments of passion, remorse, and loneliness, all the while holding each of these moments deep inside as to not let the secret slip.

What motivated you to start this project? What inspires your creative process?

To be honest, personal experience was my motivation. I am inspired by films, novels and paintings, mostly.

Do you work in film or digital? Please describe any technique or process relevant to your project.

I have chosen to work digitally for this project, mainly to get myself prepared, technically, for life outside MassArt.

Is this a new project or a continuation of previous work?

This project came out of left field for me. But it is very exciting at the same time.

How has your work developed or changed over time?

My work has definitely evolved over the years, not only in the technical aspect, but conceptually as well. I began to question myself as to what made me happy while taking pictures.

What artists or works of art have inspired or influenced you?

As I said earlier, I love to watch films and look at paintings. I particularly love to view Edward Hopper and Eric Fishel paintings and such films as Lady Vengeance and In the Mood for Love.

What kind of response do you hope to get from your viewers? Is there a certain experience you want people to take away from your photographs?

I want the viewers to realize the personal experience a woman goes through in that unfortunate situation.

What is the ideal setting to view your work? Do you picture your photographs in a book? In a gallery?

I prefer a gallery setting, but a book isn’t completely out of the question.

Do you have any ideas or plans for future work?

I plan to continue on with this project until I can foresee a comfortable stopping point.

What do you see yourself doing after graduation?

I am hoping to have a job in the field with enough time on the side to continue any personal projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment