Monday, November 23, 2009

Anthony Scrocca






What is your senior thesis?

My senior thesis consists of work that has me pointing my camera at people in their cars during rush hour traffic.

What motivated you to start this project? What inspires your creative process?

My initial motivation to starting this project was the way the light cuts through the street, through traffic and finds itself in these peoples cars highlighting whatever they are or are not doing. Time of day, light, biking around the city and ultimately looking is what inspires me to do what I do.

Do you work in film or digital? Please describe any technique or process relevant to your project.

I work in film, and I scan my work and make inkjet prints. The most important part of the process to me is being receptive to my surroundings and reacting to what is going on around me and then thinking about it all later when the pictures are developed and a print is in front of me. It would be nice if pictures existed in my head, but there is just clutter up there.

Is this a new project or a continuation of previous work?

I have been working on this project for around a year at this point.

How has your work developed or changed over time?

Maybe it is less about how the work has developed and more how I have developed along with this work. I guess just trusting what I am doing and knowing that feeling what you are doing goes a long way.

What artists or works of art have inspired or influenced you?

Harry Callahan, Lee Friedlander, Alfred Hitchcock...

What kind of response do you hope to get from your viewers? Is there a certain experience you want people to take away from your photographs?

I guess I would like for people to take a break for a second and actually look. These moments are fleeting and probably not considered by most people who encounter them daily. They are pictures now, and because of that we are given a few more seconds to look and think about these people and these spaces, maybe to see something more than what is noticed in haste.

What is the ideal setting to view your work? Do you picture your photographs in a book? In a gallery?

I see them working in both settings really. Up until recently, I was just thinking of these single moments that we look into one at a time on a wall. But, the possibilities for other narratives is there in book form and maybe with time that idea could be fleshed out.

Do you have any ideas or plans for future work?

For me, actions go a lot further than ideas do.

What do you see yourself doing after graduation?

My only real plans consist of taking more pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Just some questions. Where did these portraits are taken? Boston? And, does Anthony have a website where I can check more of his work?

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    These were all taken in Boston from the fall of 2008 to end of 2009.

    I am in the process of building a website, the address is http://ascrocca.com

    Also, if you would like to see more for the time being, I do have a flickr page up, http://flickr.com/ascrocca

    I am currently working on a DIY photobook of this work, and am looking forward to seeing it completed.

    Thanks for the inquiry, Anthony

    ReplyDelete